It's been two weeks of my collaboration with 24 Mantra. This week I experimented with a number of interesting organic ingredients, my favourite being the Assam tea and the organic honey. Let me tell you a bit about the organic Himalayan Multi flower Honey, which I absolutely loved working with. I fell in love with it's colour, taste and aroma. It is perfect for baking and I'm excited to use it for more organic experiments that I do.
I decided make this cake in two small tins and alternate the layers with my best ever chocolate cake
BLACK TEA CAKE
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp organic Assam tea
- 100 grams butter
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- 3/4 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease two 4 inch round cake pans or one 9 inch pan.
- On medium-high heat, bring the milk to a boil. Cut open the tea bags and add the tea directly into the milk. Allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, combine both flours, baking powder and baking soda
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in two instalments alternating with the tea brewed milk. Do not over mix.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. cool completely.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 tablespoons organic honey
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and honey until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and salt and continue mixing until the frosting comes together. Add milk and beat well.