Cherries are one of my favourite fruits and I love the colour they lend to cakes. I have already made this cherry cake thrice this season and still can't get enough of it.
- You can double the ingredients if you want to make a bigger cake.
- To make your own buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to 1/4th cup milk and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
- 1 cus all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar + 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- Pre- heat the oven to 180C. Oil the cake tin and dust it with all purpose flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time
- Add vanilla and mix well
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined
- Pour the batter into the tin and place the cherries on the top. Sprinkle 2tbsp of sugar on the top.
- Bake at 180C for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 150C and bake for 50 minutes. until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.