Chocolate cake is definitely a crowd-pleaser that everyone loves! No surprises here- the "Back to Basic Chocolate Cake" recipe is the most popular recipe on my blog. SO many of you have made it in your kitchens and have loved the results. I decided to make an egg-less version of it for all those who've been requesting for one. Here you go-
- 1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 + 1/2 cups castor sugar
- 1 cup curd (yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar, mixed and rested for 5 minutes
- a pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Oil a 9"round cake tin. Dust pans with cocoa, tap out extra
- Whisk cocoa, flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl
- In a large bowl, beat together oil and sugar until the mixture is pale and sugar starts to dissolve.
- Add curd and mix well.
- Beat in vanilla using mixer at low.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, starting and ending with flour mixture. Mix only until well combined. Don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into pans and bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean