- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 4 eggs or 2 cups yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced.
- Pre- heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 9" round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar until light and pale. With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Alternately, beat in flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Pour half the batter into the tin and add half cup of strawberries.Add the other half of the batter followed by adding the other half of sliced strawberries
- Smooth top using a spatula. Bake at 180C until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It should take about 30-32 minutes.
ORANGE CREAM-CHEESE FROSTING-
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1.5 cups icing sugar, sifted
- zest of one large orange
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add icing sugar, half cup at a time, mixing well after each edition. Mix in the orange zest.
- Cover the cooled strawberry cake with the frosting using an off-set spatula and decorate with fresh strawberries