- butter, to line the tin
- 5-6 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
- 6 figs, thinly sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tea-spoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Grease the pan with butter and sprinkle the brown sugar evenly on the base.
- Arrange the figs in an even layer on top of the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat oil and sugar.
- With mixer on low, beat in eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients alternating with milk, and starting and ending with flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Carefully pour the batter over the arranged fruit and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden-brown. Let the cake rest in the tin for 10-15 minutes before taking it out.